Advice to Europcar customers on the abolition of the paper counterpart to the UK photocard licence.
Since 8 June 2015, UK driving licence holders hiring within the UK need to use “Share Driving Licence”, the online service from the DVLA, for validation of their driving record.
How will this affect the way you hire a vehicle?
Since 8 June 2015, the paper counterpart to the photocard driving licence are no longer be valid. UK driving licence holders hiring within the UK will instead need to use “Share Driving Licence”, the online DVLA service, for validation of their driving record.
- DVLA: Will provide an online service which you will need to access no more than 21 days before collecting your vehicle. The service generates a one-time passcode, which is valid for a maximum period of 21 days, and requires the driver to submit their driving licence number, National Insurance number and postcode. This passcode must be presented when picking up any rental vehicle from Europcar.
- Not working?: Any drivers unable to obtain a passcode should contact the DVLA on 0300 083 0013 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm)
- Keep in mind: You will need to have your National Insurance number at hand when you are accessing the DVLA website - either at home, or at our premises.
- UK licence holders hiring abroad: will be unaffected
- Non-UK licence holders hiring in the UK: will be unaffected
- More Info: Watch the official DVLA overview video about the changes by clicking here
3 simple steps and you're on the road!
- Go to the DVLA website, no earlier than 21 days prior to your hire by clicking here
- Follow the instructions to get your licence check code and PDF
- Please print the PDF and bring with you to provide when collecting your vehicle